Thursday, December 29, 2016

Top 5 Blog Posts of 2016

As 2016 draws to a close and we prepare to enter 2017, I wanted to highlight a few of my favorite blog posts of this year. 


In position #5 is Unmerited: Movie Review, available at:
http://defendingthelegacy.blogspot.com/2016/09/unmerited-movie-review_26.html
The recreated Edinburgh City Guard
From facebook.com/edinburghcityguard
Unmerited is a little gem of a movie, chronicling the story of two estranged brothers who meet after the American Revolution.  Since it is free to watch on Youtube or Vimeo, I would recommend taking ten or fifteen minutes to watch it.  Its message of forgiveness and love is a powerful reminder as we enter the new year.

Next is Uniforms of Catriona from Contemporary Pictures.  This is an illustrated study of the uniforms worn by the characters, major and minor, of Robert Louis Stevenson's novel.  Did you know that the Edinburgh City Guard carried Lochaber axes and appears in the book?  Read this post at:
http://defendingthelegacy.blogspot.com/2016/10/uniforms-of-catriona-from-contemporary.html

Historical studies is my favorite subject matter to tackle, and The Flag of Banastre Tarleton's British Legion is one of the best I have written.  Analyzing that cryptic background flag in Sir Joshua Reynolds' famous painting, the case is made that this was based on an actual flag carried in the American Revolution.  Was this controversial?  You bet!  Check it out for yourself at: http://defendingthelegacy.blogspot.com/2016/04/flag-of-british-legion.html


While Defending the Legacy usually focusses on history, I do interject some modern anecdotes from time to time.  In A Tale of Two Authors, I  recount an experience which happened to me at a homeschool convention.  A businessman manning a table (like I do with Through All Ages LLC, www.ThroughAllAges.com) gets to see other business owners in a different way than the customers do.  Two authors were observed--and contrasted.  Read it at: http://defendingthelegacy.blogspot.com/2016/06/a-tale-of-two-authors-reflection.html

I enjoyed writing all four of the above blog posts and interacting with my readers through them.  But my favorite is one that deals with a lesson I was taught at a conference.  No lecturers or acquaintances showed it to me: instead three complete strangers were brought by God to help me learn a lesson I had been resisting.  What was it (and why is it important)?  Read it at: http://defendingthelegacy.blogspot.com/2016/09/lessons-learned-from-noah-conference.html

This post has covered my top five blog posts, but there is another one which I wrote for a friend's blog.  Why Modern Readers Should Care About History is my look at why history is important, and building a case why all people, and especially Christians, should study it.  Read it at: http://ladybibliophile.blogspot.com/2016/07/why-modern-readers-should-care-about.html

I hope that you all had a good 2016!  Did you have any favorite posts, either on here or on your own blogs?  Let me know.  As always, reader interaction is crucial for bloggers. 

 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great list! Several of your posts I particularly enjoyed were Why Modern Readers Should Care About History, Once to Every Man & Nation, Unmerited: Movie Review, and the Alone Yet Not Alone movie reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed them! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

      ~Jordan

      Delete